Dr Eugene Ch’ng PhD, MSc, BA(Hons), PGCE, Dip. IntArch, FHEA
Director, NVIDIA Joint-Lab on Mixed Reality [Visualisation and AI]
Associate Professor in Computer Science, University of Nottingham
Eugene’s research is in Digital Culture and Heritage, using VR and virtual environments for research and applications. He has been investigating a new strand of interest in social media and social networks since 2013, using big data and visual analytics to mine the web for patterns. Dr Ch’ng is involved in academic activities for various institutions in his discipline – He is associate editor for MIT Press’ Presence: Teleoperators & Virtual Environments, the oldest and foremost journal on Virtual Reality. Dr Ch’ng is also a member of the NVIDIA Technology Centre APAC. He is also involved in various programme committee in international conferences in his discipline – British Computer Society’s HCI, IEEE Computer Graphics, Imaging & Vision (CGiV), IEEE Distributed Simulation & Real-Time Application conferences (DS-RT), Virtual Systems and Multimedia (VSMM), and Conference on Complex Systems. Dr Ch’ng is an Associate member for Nvidia APJ Technology Centre which deals with Big Data and Virtual Reality, and council member for the Complex Systems Society, Europe. He has been invited to the Royal Society in London twice (2012, 2015) for data-driven virtual reality and simulations, and is an organiser and speaker for the Royal Society Theo Murphy Scientific Meeting in 2017. Dr Ch’ng has also won awards and honorariums in VR since 1996 (HP, AutoDesk, etc). Dr Ch’ng holds various research grants and is involved in projects in his discipline. Dr Ch’ng was awarded the Ningbo Municipal Individual 3315 Talent in 2015.
Dr Eugene Ch’ng completed his PhD in 2007, at the Electronics, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, the University of Birmingham (QS World Ranking: 76). He received the Best PhD for his research on Artificial Life and Virtual Environments applied in the North Sea Visualisation Project. There were only two best PhDs at the time, and the previous was awarded 20 years ago. Dr Ch’ng has a highly unique knowledge and expertise due to the multidisciplinary nature of his education and training – PhD in EEE, Masters in Information Technology, and a Bachelor of Arts 1st Class Honours in 3D Design for the Built Environment (Architecture). Dr Ch’ng has contributed to VR related UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) research during his PhD and research fellowship at the Human Interface Technologies (HIT) Team under Prof. Robert Stone, which deals with defence, health and human factors issues. He was also mentored in Digital Heritage projects under the European Archaeological Heritage Awardee, Prof. Vince Gaffney of the pioneering European Lab on Computational Palaeoenvironmental Modelling – IBM Visual and Spatial Technology Centre (IBM VISTA). Due to his international expertise in data-driven VR and VE research, Dr Ch’ng’s 10 year association with the IBM VISTA centre led him to be appointed as Director of Innovations at the IBM VISTA Centre, and also Senior Lecturer in Visualisation, and Director of Innovations for the £3.5 million Digital Humanities Hub, both at the University of Birmingham in 2011. At these top research centres, he pioneered approaches in Digital Heritage, and led a team of researchers and PhD students in Big Data processing, large-spatial temporal landscapes modelling, real-time visualisation, and state-of-the-art human interface device that can be applied in Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums (GLAMs). His research has been published in over 70 international peer-reviewed publications. In 2013, using the software and hardware architecture he built at the IBM VISTA Centre, he began exploring social network data-mining and visualisation, culminating in many collaboration opportunities today, including working with JD.com, Nvidia China and APJ Centre, Johnson & Johnson Shanghai.
- Director, NVIDIA Joint-Lab on Mixed Reality (Visualisation and AI)
- Director of Research, School of Computer Science
- Deputy Director, International Doctoral Innovation Centre (IDIC), from 2013-2016
- Associate Editor, MIT Press Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments
- Associate Member, Nvidia Technology Centre, Singapore
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Visiting Professor, University of Malaya
- Council Member, Complex Systems Society
- Editorial Board, Industrial Management & Data Systems
EXPERIENCE IN LEADING PIONEERING CENTRES
- Director, Big Data and Visual Analytics Lab, University of Nottingham Ningbo China
- Deputy Director, International Doctoral Innovation Centre (IDIC), University of Nottingham Ningbo China
- Innovations Director, IBM Visual and Spatial Technology Centre, University of Birmingham, UK [04.2012…11.2013]
- Director of Innovations, Digital Humanities Hub, University of Birmingham, UK [04.2012…11.2013]
425,000 RMB 2017 to 2018
• Principal Investigator – “Digital Technology Enhanced Cultural and Heritage in the Development of the Knowledge Economy ” AHRC Centre for Digital Copyright and IP Research in China, Ningbo Science and Technology Bureau.
70,000 RMB Jan 2017 to Jan 2017
• Principal Investigator – “Applied Research in VR Education Technology Acceptance Study for Historical, Cultural Contents”, IAPS Grant
150,000 RMB Dec 2016 to Dec. 2018
• Principle Investigator – 基于博物馆馆藏的中国文化教育虚拟现实系统开发的关键技术研发及实践, “R & D and Practice of Key Technologies in Virtual Reality System Development of Chinese Culture and Education-Based Museum Collections” Zhejiang Science and Technology Development – Commonwealth. The first grant collaborating with Ningbo Museum.
€2,500,000 Oct. 2016 to Oct. 2021
• Co-PI (Nottingham Local PI) – ERC Advanced Grant: “Lost Frontiers” Europe’s Lost Frontiers: exploring climate change, settlement and colonisation of the submerged landscapes of the North Sea basin using ancient DNA, seismic mapping and complex systems modelling (lead).
£305,000 Oct. 2016 to Oct. 2017
• Co-PI (Nottingham Local PI) – AHRC “Curious Travellers” crowdsourcing in mitigation of large-scale heritage damage. A big data-driven project for mobile- crowdsourcing and Web-crawling of cultural heritage image bases.
2,500,000 RMB Oct. 2015 to Oct. 2018
• Member (VR lead) – D-CiTi Lab BIM Ningbo Municipal Innovation Team
2,000,000 RMB Oct. 2015 to Oct. 2017
• Core Member (Visualisation lead) – IAMET Real-time Structural Health Monitoring of Heavy Sea
£10,000 Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2015
• Co-PI – “Mining the Meaning” Nottingham Big Data Pump Priming Grant. As lead-investigator in big data architecture and social media data-mining.
£130,600 March 2012 to March 2016
• Principal Investigator – Human Behaviour in Surface and mobile Computing and Museum intelligent Spaces, Telekom Malaysia
£97,532 Sept 2011 to Sept 2014
• Principal Investigator – A Collaborative Environment for Assisted 3D Reconstruction of Cuneiform Tablets, The Leverhulme Trust (F/00 094/BP)
£50,000 Sept 2011 to Sept 2013
• Principal Investigator – Carol Kennedy Scholarship – 1x PhD support on digital heritage research in the museums using Smartphones and Multitouch Displays £10,000 (84,734RMB) Sept 2012 to Sept 2013 • Principal Investigator – Vivacity Flag Fen Interactive Virtual Reconstruction of the Flag Fen Iron Age Site, Vivacity-Peterborough Museum
£75,000 Jan. 2011 to Jan 2014
• Principal Investigator – Heritage and Cultural Learning Hub Strategic Investment, University of Birmingham.
£10,000 Oct. 2008 to Oct. 2009
• Co-PI – Arts Council England ‘Grants for the Arts’ – ‘Shift-Life’ Alternate Biology and Mixed-Reality Interface. Project deliverables demonstrated at Darwin’s Bicentenary Shift-Time Festival
ROYAL SOCIETY INVITATIONS
- 2017 Theo Murphy Scientific Meeting, as organiser and speaker
- 2015 “Europe’s Lost World” VR and Sim. Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition, London
- 2012 “Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes” VR and Sim. Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition, London
SCIENCE FESTIVAL INVITATIONS
- 2016 “Stonehenge Virtual Environments Simulation, British Science Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland”
- 2015 ““Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes”, British Science Festival, Birmingham, England”
- 2013 “Invited Talk and Exhibition “Europe’s Lost World”, Orkney Science Festival, Scotland”
- 2009 ““Shift Life” Mixed Reality, Darwin’s Bicentenary Shift-Time Festival, Shrewsbury, England”
APPEARANCE ON TELEVISION
- “Stone Age Tsunami” Channel 4 Time Team Special 2012
- “Stone Age Atlantis” National Geographic Television 2010
EXTERNAL ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
- 2015… Associate Member Nvidia APJ Technology Centre
- 2013… Visiting Professor, Centre for Creative Content and Digital Innovation, University of Malaya, Malaysia. [09.2013…]
- 2013… Council Member, Complex Systems Society, Europe. [11.2013…]
- 2012… Technical Programme Committee, IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real-time Applications (DS-RT)
- 2016… Programme Committee, Applied Informatics and Technology Innovation Conference (AITIC)
- 2015… Programme Committee, Virtual Systems and Multimedia (VSMM)
- 2015… Programme Committee, British Computer Society HCI Conference
- 2015… Programme Committee, Conference on Complex Systems
- 2014… Programme Committee, Modelling & Simulation
- 2010… Programme Committee, IEEE Computer Graphics, Imaging & Vision (CGiV)
- 2008-2009 Programme Chair, International Conference on Computer Games: AI, Animation, Mobile, Educational & Serious Games 2008-2009
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- 2016 Nominee, Lord Dearing Award
- 2015.09 Ningbo Municipal Individual 3315 Talents Award
- 2012.12 Universitas 21 Early Career Researcher Fellowship, “The Future of Ecological Civilisation”, Jiaotong University, 4-6 December 2012
- 2009.01 Early Practitioner’s Award 08/09, Learning and Teaching Rewarding Excellence, The University of Wolverhampton, UK [19 January 2009]
- 2007.10 Honorarium University of Birmingham – VR Educational Game – Superconductivity
- 2007.07 Best PhD Award 06/07, School of Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK
- 2007.04 Nominee, Laval Virtual Award and Virtual Scylla. Laval, France
- 2007.01 Visiting Lecturer in Virtual Environments, Royal Academy of Engineering Supported – University of Plymouth, UK
- 2006.12 Honorary Lifetime Membership at the National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth, UK for work related to Virtual Environment and Artificial Life modelling of the HMS Scylla.
- 2003.07 PhD Scholarship, School of Engineering, University of Birmingham
- 2003.03 Outstanding Personality, Multimedia University (MMU). Recorded in the MMU Year Book ‘03
- 1996.10 1st Student Prize Award for the South East Asian Image Competition ’96 (3D Computer Graphics) in Singapore hosted by CAD User, Autodesk and Hewlett Packard
- 1997.10 Best Student Award for Academic Session 1996/97 at the Equator Academy of Art and Design, Penang, Malaysia
INVITED KEYNOTE AND TALKS
- 2016 Keynote Speech – “The Meaning of Visualisation in Big Data-Mining”, The First Artificial Intelligence and Industry Innovation Conference of China (China ‘Wisdom Valley’ Initiatives), Hosted by Xinhuanet, 1-2 November 2016, Nanjing, China. [link to pre keynote interview]
2016 Keynote Speech – Crowd Behaviour Mining with Virtual Environments, 2016 Applied Informatics and Technology Innovation Conference (AITIC 2016) 22-24 November 2016, Newcastle, Australia
2016 Invited Talk – AHRC Creative Economy Round Table Discussion: “High-Impact UK-China Innovation for Cultural Heritage”, Pujiang Innovation Forum (Innovation is GREAT), Shanghai 23-25 September 2016.
- 2016 Invited Talk by Euraxess on the experience and process of the success of the €2.5m European Advanced Research Grant experience working with the consortium, Shanghai in 2 June 2016 [video]
- 2016 Invited Keynote and Public Seminar – “Human vs AI: Who will dictate our future?” “人脑VS电脑，谁将主导未来？” at Ningbo Science Exploration Centre, Ningbo, Zhejiang, China. 04 April 2016. [web and video]
- 2016 Invited Keynote – “Experience in Large-Scale 4D Projects” 13th International Learning and Technology Conference “3 4 5 Dimensions and Beyond: Immerse into the Learning Environment!” conference, Effat University, Saudi Arabia, 10-11 April 2016
- 2015 Invited Talk, “VR and AR for BIM”, D-CiTi Lab Launch Ceremony and International Forum on Digital Built Britain, British Consulate General Shanghai, British Centre, 11 Dec. 2015
- 2015 Invited Talk – Big Data and Connected Communities, SAS User Group Malaysia (SUGMa) event on Social Media Analytics: The Future of e-Business and e-Marketing, Aloft Kuala Lumpur, 8th September 2015
- 2015 Invited Panel Chair and Guest Speaker – Multimodal, Longitudinal Networks Visualisation and Community Detection, ICOSCM – 9th International Conference on Operations & Supply Chain Management, University of Nottingham Ningbo China, 12-15 July 2015.
- 2015 Invited Presentation – Big Data and Visual Analytics – Community Discovery in Social Media, JD.com, Beijing Headquarters, 2 June 2015
- 2015 Invited Presentation – Using Big Data Technologies for Social Network Analysis, Johnson & Johnson Medical, Shanghai Headquarters, 15 June 2015
- 2014 Invited Lecture – Social Information Landscapes Within Social Networks: Datasets from a Scalable Open-Source Big Data Architecture, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 10 December 2014
- 2014 Guest Lecture – What do Twitter Communities Look Like? Auditorium, University of Nottingham China, , 27 March 2014
- 2014 Invited Lecture – Identifying and Isolating Communities in Social Media, Zhejiang University of Finance and Economics, China, 21 February 2014
- 2013 Presentation – Scalable Agent Models for Complex Systems Simulation in Large Geospatial, Ecological and Social Landscapes, Big Data and Complexity, European Conference on Complex Systems 2013, Barcelona, 16-20 September 2013
- 2013 Invited Lecture – Understanding Past Landscapes with Complex Systems Science: Agent-based models of entities and their environments, Orkney International Science Festival, Kirkwall, The Orkney Islands, 6 September 2013
- 2013 Invited Talk – Big Data and Geospatial and Social Landscapes Research, Riken, Kobe Japan, 17 June 2013
- 2013 Invited Seminar – Sundaland Project Briefing, University of Malaya, Malaysia 4 April, 2013
- 2013 Invited Seminar – Physical, Conceptual and Virtual Landscapes Research with Complex Systems Science, Kageyama Lab and CAVE VR Centre, Faculty of Science and Technology, Kobe University, 11 April 2013
- 2013 Invited Seminar – A Complex Systems Science Approach to Reconstructing Past Landscapes: Understanding and Using the Principles of Complex Adaptive Systems, University of Malaya, Malaysia 4 April, 2013
- 2012 Invited Talk – How to Progress in the Academic Career, Multimedia University, Malaysia, 18 January 2012
- 2012 Invited Lecture – Discovering Heritage, Transforming Culture: Connecting the Past with the Present through Emerging Technology, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia, 18 January 2012
- 2012 Invited Lecture – Information, Computation and Complexity: Research in Heritage and Culture, Ironbridge International Institute for Cultural Heritage (IIICH) Summer School. Birmingham 2-13 July 2012
- 2012 Invited Lecture – Strategies for Agent-Based Modelling: An Object Oriented Approach To Modelling and Simulating Complex Systems, SCIM@University of Bradford, 25 April 2012
- 2011 Invited Lecture – The Heritage Experience in the Era of Web 3.0 and Pervasive Computing, Multimedia University Malaysia, 17 November 2011
- 2011 Invited Keynote – Creative Pathways to Urban Tourism, Catania Sicilly “Digital Heritage Tourism – Reconfiguring the Visitor Experience in Heritage Sites, Museums and Architecture in the Era of Pervasive Computing”, 22 September 2011
- 2011 Invited Keynote – IBM BEAR HPC PG Conference, Birmingham University “Agents in Ancient Worlds: Communicating with the Past Using the Technology of the Future”, 23 April 2011
- 2011 Public Lecture – Digital Revolution in Heritage and Culture: A Paradigm Shift in the Exploration, Research and Display of Objects, Environments, Text and Behaviour. 14 April 2011 Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia
- 2007 Robert J. Stone, Eugene Ch’ng, Robert Guest, (2007.07): “Game On” Event hosted by Computer Science. Co-presentation with Blitz Games and Computer Science. The University of Birmingham. 4th July 2007.
- 2006 Robert J. Stone, Eugene Ch’ng, Robert Guest, David White (2006.12): Serious Gaming Applications. Presentation to Boris Johnson at the Human Interface Technologies (HIT) Lab, Electronic Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Birmingham. 1st Dec. 2006.
- 2006 Robert J. Stone and Eugene Ch’ng (2006.11): Virtual Scylla – Using Gaming Technology to Predict the Effects of Climate Change. For the Society of Underwater Technology (SUT) Talk. Discovery Theatre, Plymouth Marine Aquarium.
- 2006 Eugene Ch’ng (2006): “Developing Artificial Life Vegetation to Support the Virtual Reconstruction of Ancient Landscapes”, Developing Collective Intelligence, DECOI2006, 7-11 August 2006, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Presentation).
- 2006 Eugene Ch’ng (2006): “Man-made reality or principles in nature?”, Student Welcome Lunch, University of Technology Sydney, Australia, 27 July 2006 (Seminar).
- 2006 Eugene Ch’ng and Robert J. Stone (2006): “The Scylla: An Artificial Life Framework”, Plymouth Royal Academy of Engineering Meeting, University of Plymouth, UK, 19 June 2006 (Presentation).
- 2003 Eugene Ch’ng (2003): “Human-Computer Interaction in Virtual Reality: An Overview”, Faculty of IT, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia, 16 April. 2003 (Seminar).
- 2003 Eugene Ch’ng (2003): “A Survey of the use of 3D and VR in Malaysian Commercial & Research Sector”, Faculty of IT, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia 2 July 2003 (Seminar).